[pct-l] Boot suggestions

Mary Kwart mkwart at gci.net
Sun Dec 16 13:40:55 CST 2012

Hi--I have been backpacking for several years using the ankle high
Merrrill Moab XCRs. They last about 500 miles. I have used the goretex
and the plain. Goretex doesn't provide protection in continuous wet
conditions, but provides some protection for quick submersions like
when crossing shallow streams and your foot slips off the rock. Some
people claim it dries a lot slower--I have never noticed this. I used
the Merrill Moab XCRs without goretex last year on the Arizona trail
and they were great--they are less expensive than the non goretex.

I replace the insole that comes with the boot with the "yoursole"
insole from REI--it costs about $35 but has more cushioning and you
put it in the oven and stand in it inside your show of choice to help
it mold to your feet. I stand with a loaded pack in the shoes I will
hike with.

I am going to start hiking in the low top Merrill Moabs this winter--I
am in shape enough that I think I no longer need the ankle
protection--which I think is a misnomer in some ways. Good luck.

--Fireweed