[pct-l] "Am Lost"

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Dec 9 13:44:39 CST 2012

I got truly lost twice on my 2009 PCT hike.

First time I was not on the PCT, but hiking TO the PCT. I lost my way
because I mistook illegal motorcycle trails for the real trail. I
went the wrong way knowingly because I could not find a way through
the brush to the correct canyon. I got confused because even though I
was in the wrong canyon, I was passing landmarks noted on the map:
springs and camp sites. I soon lost any sort of trail at all and
fought my way down the creek for 4 hours. I was in a panic and had no
idea where I was. I emerged on the road near Hardluck campground at
exactly 4pm which was exactly what time I had expected to be there
had I gone the right way. This made me feel even more confused. I got
to my camp that afternoon and spent a long time looking at the map
before I figured out where I had been.

The second time was on the PCT near Sonora Pass. I got up to
Emmigrant pass and lost the PCT. I wandered all over the place trying
to find it, trying to find the landmarks that the PCT Wilderness
Press guide book said would be there. I saw my hiking buddy coming up
shortly behind me so I forged ahead. Then I no longer saw my hiking
buddy and couldn't see where he could have gone. I backtracked and
found a sign with the PCT marked on it but all the arrows were
pointing in directions I had neither come from nor had been headed
toward. No trail was to be seen anywhere due to snow. Nothing made
sense. I could not place myself on the map. I knew which was was
north, though, and I knew I was headed toward an east-west highway so
no matter what I'd end up on the highway if I went north. So I forged
ahead over Emmigrant Pass, found a trail and followed it. Followed
fresh footprints, too. Eventually I realized I was headed to Kennedy
Meadows North and even though it was going to add 11 extra miles, I
was going to be eating ice cream soon so I was okay with it. My buddy
was in panic mode, though, and was ready to call Search and Rescue if
I didn't turn up in Bridgeport by the end of the day. Once I got to
Bridgeport, I made a point to find a restaurant with outdoor seating
so I could be easily seen if he happened to be walking around town.
He was relieved to find me soon after I got my meal.