[pct-l] Vagrancy Issues, calve muscles & combat boots

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Mon Dec 3 22:16:47 CST 2012

[pct-l] Vagrancy Issues, calve muscles & combat boots

Yoshi,
Great pictures....you are a great photographer.

JMT Reinhold
-----------------------------
Yoshi wrote:

Dear Joan

I will comment briefly.

There are several misunderstanding concerning UL and HT( Heavy Trucking )

The difference of energy consumption is small. It is estimated within
6 percent by solving a simple equation. We adjust step length when we
carry heavy object, then the energy consumption decreases drastically.
http://bit.ly/iSnVzl

Heavy huge muscles are not needed to carry heavy backpack. Select a
good designed backpack. I recently obtained Altra 75. It works great.
Most of the backpack weight hang on the hip bone. We need no energy
when all the backpack weight is on the bones.

Heavy load should be carried at the higher place of your back, then
the energy consumption decreases.

Huge calve muscles is not needed, because the stiffness of the
mountain boots limit ankle movement, that is, the walking is performed
without using calve muscles. You should remind the marathon runner has
slender calve muscles and the sprinter only  has huge calve muscles.

My wife cannot carry heavy load. So I need to carry two persons
equipment and food.
I guided my wife from South Lk to Lone Pine in this summer. It was
estimated 10 days by her speed. So I carried around 85 pound ( over 38
kg , 50% of my  body weight) at the starting point.

This is me at the second day.http://bit.ly/Vh8DRf   I have no huge
calve muscles. This summer's hike was successful.  My wife recovered
every day with the abundant food. I did not feel fatigue, except the
first day. I think my body adjusted walking gait in the first day.