[pct-l] Stove or no stove?

Randy Godfrey randy3833 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 2 22:08:22 CST 2012

To add to the no stove discussion...

As Snap said, there are many places where campfires are banned, especially in the fragile sub alpine areas. Even in areas where campfires are allowed, I believe that it is unethical, when considering practicing good low-impact camping techniques, to build a fire in these high meadow and rock areas. The scars from those fires will last for decades, degrading the wilderness experience of other visitors. Also, when there is evidence of past fires at campsites, some people will go out of their way to hack down the remaining picturesque snags and beautiful bleached wood to use for fuel. I don't personally have the experience of a thru-hiker, but I believe that it is best to carry a stove unless you are planning not to cook.

OK, I'm off my soap box. Can you tell I was a wilderness ranger?

Randy