[pct-l] Bear Spray and Snow

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Dec 2 09:49:35 CST 2012

Spotting bears does not mean having trouble with them. I saw 9 bears
on the PCT. Not once did I feel a need for bear spray.

Dropping your pack off at a picnic table while looking for a place to
hang means a) he probably was in a highly populated area with
habituated bears and b) he didn't have his food in a bear canister
and left it unattended like an idiot (I bet his pack was too heavy).
Two things not commonly done by PCT hikers.

The third incident you mention was unfortunate. San Bernardino County
is a large area, largest county in California. The story you list is
vague enough it could have happened in a car campground (and sounds
like it did.)

The reality of being a PCT hiker is to not have trouble with bears
unless you camp with your food unsecured in habituated bear country
(i.e. the campground in Mammoth or Tuolumne Meadows, popular trail
camp sites in SEKI or Yosemite). Having unsecured food in the areas
where bear cans are required is where most PCT hikers have had
trouble. Those hikers have been smart enough to blame themselves, not
the bears and none of them whipped out any bear spray on the bear.

You can mitigate your risks to almost zero simply by eating dinner
before you get to camp, using a bear canister where required, not
camping in high-traffic campsites and not being an idiot who provokes
bears.

If you prefer to fear monger on the list about bears, that's your
right. It's the Internet and the PCT-L and winter time and where
would we be without a bunch of overwrought hand-wringing about bears
at this time of year? Snakes ought to be next, although we haven't
yet done quite enough of the annual freaking out about snow.