[pct-l] ULA backpacks: Circuit vs Catalyst

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Wed Aug 29 20:07:50 CDT 2012

Anne,

I bought the Circuit last spring for my PCT section hike this summer.  I tried the Ohm, the Ohm2, and the Circuit.  I was looking for the lightest pack that would hold my gear AND be comfortable for my frame.  An Osprey ? (forgot the model) was identical in weight and capacity but not quite a s co mfortable for me.

I was very pleased with the Circuit.  I was on the trail about 40 days, and it did its job well.  I had mailed ahead some of my bulkier gear (poles, fo am pad, etc.) so the Circuit would fit in the overhead bin on the plane.  No one challenged it as too big for "carry-on".

One consideration may be the weather (cold or warm?) and the # of days you will be carrying food.  If you have winter gear and lots of food, you may need the greater capacity of the Catalyst.

A note of caution.  I understand that the founder / owner of ULA has sold the company to a guy who is much less customer-friendly than his predecessor.  Several folks on th ePCT this year mentioned problems with customer service since the sale.

Have a great hike!

Mango