[pct-l] Sawyer Squeeze

Rob Solorio robsolorio at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 29 12:50:20 CDT 2012

For the last few years my friends and I have used Katadyn Hiker pumps on our
weeklong PCT section hikes.  Two years ago my friend's pump broke (the nipple on
the filter for the tube snapped off).  Last year the exact same thing happened
to mine.  He replaced his with an new Katadyn.  I decided to replace mine with
the Sawyer Squeeze.  This summer I used it in Section I (Tuolumne Meadow to
Sonora Pass) for a week and again for a 4-day trip in the Lake Aloha area.

Pros:
1.  Super lightweight.
2.  Much more relaxing squeezing the bag than pumping.
3.  Came with 3 different size bags.  Multiple bags allow continued use of the
filter even if one bag fails.
4.  It is nice being able to fill up the bags and take them back to camp to
actually do the filtering there.
5.  If you have the time to wait and don't feel like squeezing gravity will do
the work for you just not as fast.

Cons:
1.  Even with trying to be careful with the unit (I had read not to squeeze too
hard) the first bag (32oz) sprang a leak in the side (not on any seam) on the
third day as I was squeezing.  To be fair it appeared to be a puncture hole so I
can't be 100% certain of the cause but my best guess is that the rigidity of the
bag caused the leak as I was squeezing and rolling.  Was able to cover it with
duct tape and continued to use.
2.  A few days later that same bag sprung a much larger leak at the base where
the plastic threaded piece is "glued" to the bag.  Had to toss the bag.  Had no
problem with either the 16oz or the 64oz bag.
3.  Filling the bag is easiest in running water (stream/waterfall).  Large,
still bodies are fine as well though you have to wave the bag back and forth in
the water to fill it.  It won't "inflate" with water if you just submerge it.
 All this agitation can stir up lots of gunk in the water and clog the filter if
you aren't careful.  I never did back-flush but probably should have after some
of the debris I stirred up while filling.  I did notice a slight speed decrease
over time.
4.  Not quite as fast as advertised but still faster than a pump.

Overall I am happy with my purchase.  I prefer it to the labor required to use a
pump and like the weight savings.  I will always be sure to carry at least 2
bags and am OK with treating the bags as semi-disposable since they are fairly
cheap to replace.  Not the wonder unit Backpacker magazine seemed to make it out
to be this year but still a great choice.

-LoneRiver