[pct-l] PCT Sawyer Squeeze Feedback

belcherjd at juno.com belcherjd at juno.com
Wed Aug 29 00:20:28 CDT 2012

John

I give the Sawyer Squeeze system a c-.

I just got back from a four nighter on the PCT north from Snoqualmie Pass testing equipment for next year's thru-hike.

One new piece I was not please with was the squeeze bag for the Sawyer 2 oz inline filter.

On the third day the seam near the threads busted open and was leaking a stream of dirty water.
I had read the reviews and was aware of it's delicate nature so was trying to treat it as VERY ultra light weight equipment but that part of Sawyer's filter just failed miserably.

I like the filter very well and so I'm on the prowl for water
bags/bottles to replace the Sawyer Squeeze bag.

I like the looks of Platypus to replace the sawyer bags but in testing them I've found (much to my surprise) that the threads on the Platypus bags are just slightly wider spaced than the standard pop bottle and the Sawyer filter. Therefore under squeezing pressure the platypus bags drip dirty water.

I've now set up to use a Platypus Big Zip SL with it's quick connector. Negates some of the weight savings but hopefully....dependable.

'til later
jon