[pct-l] PCT sleeping system

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 27 20:56:09 CDT 2012

Hello Patrick,

The following is just my opinion. It is based on my experience while riding the the PCT from Mexico to Canada. It took me about seven months spread over four years. During that journey I mostly lived on the trail and resupplied myself by leaving my horse is safe care, driving my rig north, caching as  went, and then hitching back, tacking up, and continuing north. I did not (could not) go into towns as the hikers do. I usually took my "0" days on the trail.

I want to share my thoughts regarding your question on a "sleeping system".  Realize that there have been many approaches to this. As for a tent verses a bivy. As many hikers have discovered, sleeping in a bivy can be a wet experience - due to the condensation that will sometimes be deposited inside the bivy - getting your sleeping bag wet. When you pack up the next morning you will have to carry that water. A tent that you might consider is the Hubba, made by MSR.  It only weighs 2 pounds 13 ounces. It is very easy to set up. It is free standing - can be moved to a different spot after it is set up. It is a 2-part tent. The inner part is just insect netting with a zipper door. That is all that I most often use; I like to see outside. I only put up the rain fly outer layer (with vestibule) if it is raining or might rain or if I want privacy - which is rare since I usually camp alone with my horse. I have never had a condensation problem with this
 2-part tent. On rare occasions, while it was raining, I have cooked in the vestibule (I use a Jetboil stove and have never had it flare up - I wouldn't try that with an alcohol stove). To see my slide show with pictures of my Hubba tent in use TYPE in:
       postholer.com/stockman

The other important part of a sleeping system is the down sleeping bag. Be aware that the weather is not always cold, or very cold. There have been many times when I go to sleep on top of my bag because it was too warm to get inside, I bring a Cocoon sleeping bag liner. It weighs 8 ounces and adds (according to the manufacturer) 9 degrees of warmth. I think that's about right. Sometimes, on a warm night, that is all I need. Later, when it becomes cooler, I can slip into my bag. The liner is also very useful in that it keeps the inside of my bag clean. If it is really very cold, I can sleep with my cloths on, also using the liner. This system gives me a lot of options to deal with different temperatures. I also like a Thermarest self-inflating air mattress. The one I use weighs less than a pound and measures 47"x 20" x 1.5". I like that I can easily adjust the firmness for comfort.

I wish you a successful and happy hike on the PCT in 2013