[pct-l] HMG

John Abela abela at johnabela.com
Mon Aug 27 16:50:49 CDT 2012

Hey Dan,

I do not have any experience with the 3400 but I have had an original Windrider.

Overall it is a very nice backpack. Good strong material. Very good
construction.

It is over engineered, I feel, using hardware beyond what it needs.
But that does mean you can load it up beyond its weight limit and be
able to push it a bit.

Not as comfortable as the larger ULA packs, but one of the more
comfortable 3000ci backpacks out there.

Its internal padding along the back makes for a rather nice stiff
quasi-frame-support.

It can handle a bear canister much better than other backpacks out
there because of its y-harness closure system.

Serious competition to the Windrider is the Gossamer Gear Gorilla (a
bit less expensive, a bit more features and a bit more comfortable)
and the ZPacks Blast 30 (surprising less expensive, significantly
lighter weight, a bit more options, not as durable - but still more
then enough for a pct thru-hike - and not as comfortable as either the
Gorilla or the Windrider.) I have never used a Six Moon Designs
backpack (kind of odd, not sure why) so I cannot compare it to any of
theirs.

HMG has been a bit more popular by AT hikers than PCT hikers.

It is not bonded so it is not anymore waterproof than any other
backpack out there used on the PCT. Still going to need a
liner/dry-bag of some type for your down gear.

HMG provides amazing support, even for hikers on the trail.

Suppose that is a quick throw-together bit of thoughts from my part on
the HMG Windrider.

-Abela
HikeLighter.Com