[pct-l] GoLite umbrella

John Abela abela at johnabela.com
Fri Aug 24 05:49:32 CDT 2012

I have used a GoLite Chrome for a few years now (even back when
everybody would laugh at you for having an umbrella) and love it. Sun,
rain... spiderwebs ;) ... extra bit of protection for your shelter if
you need it... a way to a collect decent amount of water when it is
raining at night (if you do need it for your shelter, turn it upside
down and let it collect rain water - granted, the PCT rarely sees
rain, but take advantage of it when it does, eh!)... they have so many
uses.

This year, however, I have ditched the Chrome and have been giving the
"Kavu Chillba Hat" an honest chance at performing some of the same
duties. It has a strap inside so it sits up off of your head (and is
also nice because you can tighten it down in the wind so it does not
go flying). Threw some 0.34 cuben fiber onto the top of it so it would
be able to not get soaked in the rain. Provides more than enough
coverage in the rain for my head/shoulders (does not cover lower arms,
which the Chrome can some times do). Does not work at all for rain
water collection hahah. It is 126 grams verses the 230 grams of the
Chrome Dome (4.8 oz versus 8 oz). Anyway, so far it has been working
out rather well. I used it down in Death Valley earlier this year when
it was 122(f) and it seemed to work just as well as the Chrome which
another hike had and I had a chance to try for awhile (we swapped gear
to test out how things worked in 120+ degree weather). And of course,
the hat does not require the use of hands to constantly hold it up ;)

-Abela
HikeLighter.Com