[pct-l] Stevens Pass North

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 21 16:47:34 CDT 2012

Chuck

September 9 to 22 between Stevens Pass and Manning Park can deal you just about anything on the weather.  When I sectioned those parts (2003 and 2004) I had several days of rain and fog....in mid to late August.  On the thru hike in 2006, it was nothing but brilliant weather north of Stevens all the way to Manning, from September 22nd until well after I finished on October 2nd.  In 2007, it started snowing and shut down the trail for the year in what....mid to late September, if memory serves (chime in here '07 folks).

So to the specific question you asked, to wit:  "What sort of weather should we plan for?"

Plan for possible snow and 20 degree temps, plan for 37 degrees and steady rain for days on end.... and then hope for brilliant, crisp, clear, sunny days, with star filled, cool nights.  You'll know what you'll be getting when you show up at the trail head......and even then it can change on you quickly.

One place to find historical information is the Snotel sensors - they have temp, precip, etc.  Check the ones at Harts Pass, Rainy Pass, Lyman Lake and Stevens Pass for those that approximate the PCT in your area of interest  Check how the historical data changes from year to year - compare and contrast September 2006 to September 2007, for example.