[pct-l] dehydrators

mkwart at gci.net mkwart at gci.net
Mon Aug 20 14:15:10 CDT 2012

I just use a really cheap plastic Ronco food dehydrator from the 80's.
It works fine with only a heat coil in the bottom and about 5 stackable
trays that I rotate during the drying process. There is a vent on the
top that can be closed down.

I mostly use it to make beef jerky. I also dehydrate spaghetti sauce and
soups, using a plastic disc that sits on one of the stackable trays and
keeps liquids from passing through. I will send you my beef jerky recipe
off list--I got it from Dan LaBrenz as a result of a posting on the PCT
list serv 3-4 years ago. I made a few modifications and now it's a
staple for me. When I was a member of a CSA I dried my excess vegetables
and that worked fine, too. They lasted for an incredible long time.

I have met many people on the trail who used driers
extensively--especially vegans or vegetarians. Every time they made a
batch of food in the winter, they would dry some in preparation for the
hiking season.

--Fireweed