[pct-l] Mt. Jefferson Creek Fords?

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Thu Aug 16 10:45:18 CDT 2012

Good morning, Hardwood Creek,

There are several streams draining the western slopes of Mt. Jefferson,
beginning in the south:

Milk Creek, is just north of Pamelia Lake, drains a small snowpack and
glacial region near the peak, but it is usually a rock-hop in late summer.

Jefferson Creek is in the next drainage north of Milk Creek across
Woodpecker Ridge.  It also is not significant once the bulk of the snowpack
is off for the year.  It’s not fed by glaciers or – in late summer –
significant snowpack so its flow isn’t nearly as variable through the day.

Russell Creek is the next crossing, and larger because it drains both the
Jefferson Park and the Russell Glaciers.  It will vary through the day as
visible snowpack melts in the sun.  The Russell Creek canyon is relatively
narrow, with steep sides tending to confine the flow.  Here it may be
necessary to wade rather than just rock-hop.  Now, in late summer, it’s
likely to require 4-5 steps in water half-way to the knee.

Whitewater Creek is next, primarily draining the Whitewater Glacier.  It’s
in a wider, alluvial stream-bed so will tend to be slower, with more
opportunities to find alternate crossings.   Since Whitewater Glacier, and
its associated snowpack, is on the north side of the mountain it tends to
retain snow longer during the season, and since it receives less direct
sunlight its flow is less variable through the day.

A small Breitenbush River stem carries the out-flow of Russell Lake just
before the trail leaves Jefferson Park to climb Park Ridge.  This is a
rather small stream on relatively flat ground, and it probably will have
logs, step rocks, or other options to cross dry.

For these kinds of glacial out-flow streams I usually remove my shoes and
socks, and put on a spare pair of socks for wading.  Just a thickness of
sock significantly reduces the pain from the typically sharp rocks in a
glacial streambed.  Better, is to install an old pair of cheap, foam
sneaker insoles inside the socks.  I have carried separate sandals or
rubber water-shoes, but I usually resent the additional weight for little
advantage over socks/insoles.

Enjoy your hike,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye