[pct-l] Third gate Water Caches

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sat Aug 11 04:18:59 CDT 2012

Elevator,....I agree.
I am a firm believer in self sufficiency and self reliance.
It has been my observation that now days many PCT hikers are planing and
relying on outside assistance, rather than planning on being self
sufficient and not having to rely on outside assistance.
And yes, as you said,..."every one out there should be able to plan and
carry enough water to go 23 miles, even if it takes 1-2 days".

Heck,....I remember about 10 years ago hauling 12 liters of water on a
waterless trail in the Grand Canyon in 100+ degrees without shade.

If a hiker can not do an occasional 23 mile day or can not carry enough
water for 2 days, and has to rely on outside assistance then, perhaps,
the PCT is not the right choice and that hiker, perhaps, should consider
hiking  less challenging trails until that hiker is able to meet the
challenges of the PCT, instead of making the PCT so easy that even
"GRANDMA" can hike it.

Not  taking anything away  from the water cache volunteers and having
great respect for their dedication, it is my opinion that water caches,
although assisting many hikers, can actually put hikers at risk.
I base that opinion on the fact that many hikers rely on those caches
and carry only enough water to get them to that cache.
It is no secret that occasionally a cache may be dry and, perhaps, the
hikers water bottles may be dry because he was relying on the cache to
fill up.....that could be a problem.
Without water caches hikers would be forced to be self sufficient and
carry enough water to the next reliable water source.

I say....keep the PCT wild and challenging....do not make it as easy to
hike as the neighborhood park, otherwise everybody's "GRANDMOTHER" will
be hiking the PCT.

What am I saying???.....I'm 71......FORGET  THAT  I  SAID
THAT!!!....Put a hamburger joint at every junction.
And yes....a First Aide Station also....I WILL NEED OXYGEN!!!

JMT Reinhold
Your senior citizen trail companion
Elevator wrote:
If thru-hikers were my self sufficient there would not be a need for a
water cache at both Scissors Crossing and 3rd gate.
  It is very realistic that hikers can make the journey between SC and
Barrel Springs without the 3rd gate cache. Every one out there should be
able to plan and carry enough water to go 23 miles, even if this takes
1-2 days.