[pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 56, Issue 7

belcherjd at juno.com belcherjd at juno.com
Wed Aug 8 00:34:24 CDT 2012

John

I use Gortex jackets my wife makes me. She's made three for me in the last 35 years. She uses a french seam and there is no taping or seam sealing to wear out and leak.

The one she just finished weighs 7.5 oz with warmer pockets and hood. I will use it on my 2013 thru-hike not only as a rain coat but also as my primary defense against cold winds.
It also, when laid on top, adds about 10* to my sleeping bag.

I've had a few "manufactured" jackets (Gortex and Dry Ducts) and they all have had problems of not breathing well enough and being too warm while hiking.

For pants I use a pair of REI Event gortex pants I picked up and the Salvation Army thrift store for $5 .... still had the original REI $99 price tag on them.

'ti later
Jon
Marysville WA