[pct-l] filtering in the Sierras

Lindsey Sommer lgsommer at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 16:37:35 CDT 2012

There's been a few posts recently about water quality, filtering etc. For
me the take away lesson is that you should do what you feel comfortable
with. It seems like there's many on this list you choose to forgo filtering
in the Sierras and those who do filter. I fall into the camp of always
filtering. NOT because I think every water source is taunted (I'm sure many
are very good), but filtering just offers me an additional peace of mind,
same as the hiker Matt mentioned below. I have a very sensitive stomach, so
taking precautions, even ones that simply exist to help me feel mentally
better, are worth it.

So, do what you feel comfortable with! If you choose to forgo filtering but
are going to spend the whole time worrying about getting sick then maybe a
different solution will work better for you. Hike your own hike :)

Enjoy!

Lindsey