[pct-l] Early start on PCT on 2013 and then back to Morena for AZDPCTKO

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Aug 5 13:37:54 CDT 2012

Usually in the weeks before kick-off there are lots of people on the
kick-off ride board asking for and offering rides, plus emails to
this list offering rides, plus people on their way stopping by
various places such as Scissors Crossing or Julian or wherever, just
looking to see if there's anybody they can pick up spontaneously. So
I'd head out and just walk at whatever pace you want and expect to
get a ride wherever you end up (within reason, of course, I wouldn't
expect a ride on Chihuahua Valley Rd or somewhere like that.) I've
even offered rides and living in Santa Barbara I would have been able
to pick up someone as far north as Hikertown.

As for your slow pace, before I attempted the PCT I had never been
able to hike more than 16 miles in a day without incredible
debilitating pain. So I figured that was my absolute upper limit and
I better stay below that. The PCT was so easy to hike 15 miles a day
without any pain (other than eventual blisters.) So don't worry too
much about your pace. It'll probably be faster than you think.