[pct-l] Early start on PCT on 2013 and then back to Morena for AZDPCTKO

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sun Aug 5 10:10:54 CDT 2012

Good morning, Anne,

Every year I hear of a number of hikers who start before ADZPCTKO them
hitch back from the trail to attend.  I think others will also be returning
from Warner Springs so you can probably find a ride – both ways – rather
easily.  I don’t think any planning is necessary now, just watch the
Kick-Off ride board on the website, and let your desires be known.

Hiking from the border to Warner Springs in 13 days is glacially slow by
PCT standards, but if you have the time it’s a good strategy.  After the
Kick-Off you will be (somewhat) experienced on the trail, and you’ll be
days ahead of the pack.  Based upon this early experience you can adjust
your gear at the Kick-Off by sending items home, buying different items
locally, and/or tossing a few items in the hiker-box.  Maybe you can just
relax and be perfectly happy with what you have, making no changes.  As in
science, zero is a perfectly good answer.

Enjoy your planning,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/