[pct-l] Early start on PCT on 2013 and then back to Morena for AZDPCTKO

Anne Estoppey anne_estoppey at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 5 09:01:24 CDT 2012

Hello all

I am having a closer look to my schedule for when starting PCT next year. I saw on the AZDPCTKO webpage that the kick-off days will be April 26-28, 2013.

I wanted to have a bit of a head-start, and try to avoid the main 'herd' starting all at the same time at kickoff days. At the same time I don't want to miss kickoff days, so I want to be there to meet other hikers. Anyway I am sure that a lot of people will catch up with me even if I have a head start... ;-)

So I thought to hike Campo-Warner Springs right before the kickoff. Then hitch-hike back to Lake Morena for kickoff and start again from Warner Springs after kickoff.

I will walk this very first part as slow as a desert turtle, I know that. I don't think that I will manage more than 10 miles per day. Now I am looking in YOGI's handbook and I see there is 110 miles between Campo and Warner Springs. Uhhh.
So 10 miles per day, plus a couple of zeros for adapting and stuff, err, that makes 13 days. OMG. A desert turtle is faster than that, I am sure. So to be on the safe side, I should be in Campo on the 12th of April, in order to be at kickoff on the 26th.

Has anybody started PCT in this way? Like slow mo hiking to Warner Springs and back to kickoff?
Is it realistic?

Please tell me your experience if you have done so.

Thanks a lot for sharing :)
Anne