[pct-l] update: Chips Fire explodes

abiegen at cox.net abiegen at cox.net
Thu Aug 2 13:09:59 CDT 2012

>The fire was discovered about 2 a.m. Sunday about one mile above the highway in Chips Creek drainage.
>When firefighters arrived, flames were burning on both sides of the Pacific Crest Trail.
>It has been determined to be human-caused.
>An estimated cost to fight has not been released.

Clifford wrote:

The flames made "significant moves to the northeast" today and moved south
to the highway.

 >Judging from the InciWeb maps, it's pretty clear that the fire was started
>on or near the trail.  So far it looks like the fire has burned about 3/4 of
>a mile of trail, about half of which was wooded and the other half was in a
>previous burn area.  If it spreads down the hill to the west, though, it
>could impact a much longer length.

>Maps here:
>http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/maps/3052/0/

>Eric

Almost exactly two years ago when Piper and I were hiking this bit of the PCT we met some Thrus in Beldentown who were going to head out that evening up the climb out of Belden ahead of us. The next morning we heading out early. We got to an old campsite with a big fire ring and a still very hot fire. Since there was no water nearby (which may be why the campers/Thrus didn't put it out) we grabbed some utensils hanging by hooks on trees and did the best we could to cover the fire with dirt and put what little water we could on the fire. It didn't look like the fire could get out of that fire pit but you never know. Having lost my home (along with 600 other homes) to a human caused fire in Santa Barbara in 1990, I am overly cautious.

Looking at the incieweb map, it looks like the fire may have started near that same campsite. I hope this fire doesn't come back to a PCT Thru-hiker but if you have hiked up that hill you know that probably no one else is crazy enough to hike it for fun and Belden only has a population of about 27 people.

TrailHacker
--
"When my feet hurt, I can't think straight"
Abraham Lincoln