[pct-l] Tents and Ants: a Cautionary Tale

Robert Henry rrh.henry at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 13:54:34 CDT 2012

Here's a follow up on how I repaired the tent  The manufacture sent me
swatches of original silicon-nylon material to patch the top and
bottom of the tent.  Per their recommendations, I bought sil-net
adhesive made by "Gear Aid", as sold here by REI
http://www.rei.com/product/705425/gear-aid-silnet-silicone-seam-sealer-15-oz

I cut by hand round patches about 1/2 to 3/4 inch in diameter.  I set
up a work table on some sawhorses, including a light table from an old
window, illuminated from below.  Working from the inside of the tent,
I painted one side of a patch with the silnet, and then glued the
patch to the inside of the tent right over a hole.  I'd swab the
excess glue up with a paper towel. The glue had a working life of
several minutes, and a dry time of about 4 hours.

It took my brother and I about 12 hours of work to patch all the
holes.  The slowest part was cutting the round patches.  The material
doesn't unravel, and we had a good sharp pair of scissors.