[pct-l] Stoves

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 27 17:46:06 CDT 2012

Alex wrote:

I have an MSR whisperlite that runs on white gas. In peoples opinion and
experience would it be silly for me to rely on being able to find white gas
along the way or should I shoot for a different stove all together.

You won't see a lot of white gas stoves among the thru-hiker crowd because
a) it can be hard to find resupplies along the trail (and you can't ship it
to yourself), and b) those kinds of stoves tend to be heavier than necessary
for one person.  They're great for big groups, though.  Most thru-hikers use
either an alcohol stove, a canister stove, or solid fuel (Esbit or similar).
Each of the three have their advantages and disadvantages.

Eric