[pct-l] Sierra Solo

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Apr 23 19:44:46 CDT 2012

I found it to feel so safe that I felt unsafe when in town. When in a
'civilized' place, as a woman, there are far more predators around
than when on the trail. I was always glad to return to the trail.

Back in my olden days, I did not have electronic gadgets other than
transistor radios, which were always against the rules, and somehow
survived every backpacking trip even though the leader always got us
lost. So I don't feel a personal urgency for electronics. It is fine
if people want to bring them, and I carried a cellphone so I am not
against them. I just don't believe in telling people they are
irresponsible if they don't have some kind of device. It wasn't
irresponsible in 1972.

Enjoy the solitude. It's a great gift.