[pct-l] Whitney Portal Detour

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Sun Apr 22 19:48:09 CDT 2012

Matt:

It isn't the distance (a mere 18.5 miles one way); it's the altitude and
elevation gain/loss. The east slope of Mt Whitney is very steep. You really
don't want to hump a fully loaded pack up that 5,320 foot climb if you can
avoid it.
PCT/JMT junction west of Crabtree Meadows = 10,760  feet.
Mt Whitney trail jct =13,450
Trail Crest = 13,650
Whitney Portal = 8330

Do yourself a huge favor - have them meet you at either Horseshoe Meadows
campground (exit PCT at Trail Pass) or at Onion Valley campground (exit PCT
at Bullfrog Lake and go over Kearsarge Pass). Ideally, have them meet you at
both. If they like to hike and want a drop dead view of the Sierra and a
nice overnight camping experience amid same, have them park at Onion Valley
and hike in to one of the Kearsarge Lakes just west of Kearsarge Pass. Meet
them there to pick up your resupply, and let them carry out your trash.