[pct-l] what is the best way to carry Heet?

Webmail dcooper dcooper at bigsky.net
Thu Apr 19 15:58:33 CDT 2012

I wrestled with this decision after dealing with the issue of white gas
from Mexico to the Bering Strait on the Continental Divide. More people in
the back country of North America have white gas...its a cabin staple. On
the PCT which traverses and crosses so many access points to civie I think
it's a toss-up for weight...now that is considering going solo or with a
partner who shares weight. It sounds like you are planning for more than
just 2. Considering the demands for boiled water for food, coffee, and the
occasional instance of having to rely on boiling water for drinking....this
is a no-brainer for me, go with a mountaineering/backpack stove that burns
white gas. For your family the weight will be negligible. Get one with the
fewest moving parts. Consider evening going on eBay and buying an Optimus
99. It's old school but it works flawless. You will end up carrying almost
2.5 extra pounds with stove and fuel and pick up faster boiling times and
less hassle preparing meals. I am trying out an alcohol stove this year on
the PCT to see how I do. But I am also going heavy on the dry end with
fewer actual cooking demands.