[pct-l] Fatalities PCT? Safety issues

Carolyn Burkhart kitravensong at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 16 14:47:18 CDT 2012

In 1976 two PCTers were walking the highway to Weldon, one was hit a killed by a beam on a truck and the other quit hiking. This was a couple of days before I got there. Another PCTer came across the body of a hiker on Mt. San Jacinto in the snow storm that week and later another PCTer came uppn one near his tent in the Sierras...hypothermia? The later two may or may not have been PCTers.

Another issue is safety of hikers traveling solo, especially young women. As PCTers it really helps when we support and look out for one another on the trail.

Ravensong