[pct-l] fuel shipment via priority mail was rejected by USPS

Greg Mikol greg.mikol at ieee.org
Fri Apr 13 20:33:56 CDT 2012

Priority Mail is fundamentally not a surface mail service. They will not
sort out Priority packages to ensure they travel surface, even if it's a
short distance, and will almost certainly travel surface, e.g. if you
were mailing from Seattle to Snoqualmie Pass. In order to avoid any
uncertainty or ambiguity, the Postal Service's policy is that ORM-D must
travel parcel (or perhaps(?) first-class for light parcels, i.e. all
you're shipping is 1 fuel canister.)

The clerk was absolutely correct. Be glad the employees at your PO
actually knew the rules. My brother-in-law got treated like a criminal
when he tried to mail boxes for me several years ago that contained
canister fuel, correctly labeled, correct service, etc.

Good luck--

Greg