[pct-l] Gas line antifreeze

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Thu Apr 12 08:36:20 CDT 2012

Good morning, Yogi,

Fuel line antifreeze is typically methanol or isopropanol, plus some
auto-related chems.  HEET is the most convenient but any product that is
substantially alcohol will work in a ‘can stove.  Hardware store alcohol
solvent is great, and even drugstore rubbing alcohol could be used.
Unfortunately,
rubbing alcohol has maybe 30% water which must be vaporized in the
combustion process so the net heat output of the stove suffers greatly.

There’s nothing magic about the HEET brand in the familiar yellow jug, it’s
just the most common, but it has some competitors. The ISO-HEET product in
the red jug is similar but has a higher percentage of fuel injector cleaner
stuff and is less desirable for a stove.

For future hikers, it’s possible HEET will become less common.  Current
gasoline may have about 10% ethanol which obviates the need for a separate
alcohol additive to trap and pass water from fuel lines.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/