[pct-l] hiking calories

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Wed Apr 11 20:38:39 CDT 2012

Good evening, MendoRider,

The tortillas were “mulit-grain”, taco-size which fit perfectly the inside
diameter of the Garcia ‘can and filled about half of the inside height.  They
fit snugly inside the ‘can because they are moist and flexible.  I wasn’t
pleased with the extra water-weight, but such was better than other
products which wouldn’t have packed as densely.  I believe there were 8
packages of 10 tortillas.  I don’t recall the Calories in each.  I wrote
about this in more detail a few months ago on PCT-L but I can’t find the
posting.  I ate 10 tortillas with peanut butter per day.

The good news is I can get over 60,000 Calories in the ‘can.  The bad news
is, to do so I have to fill the thing – bottom to top – with nothing but
peanut butter.  I can’t/won’t eat anything but peanut butter for 8-10 days
so there has to be some other product to go with the stuff.

There are many recipes for ultra high-Calorie foods, and I’ve experimented
with a few of them.  One was discussed on PCT-L a few weeks ago that was
mostly oatmeal and butter.  That type of semi-soft food -- about half-full
in a plastic bag -- can be pressed and molded very efficiently into a ‘can.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/