[pct-l] hiking calories

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Wed Apr 11 15:18:49 CDT 2012

Good afternoon, MendoRider,

Yes, I’m confident that with appropriate additional Calories I would have
easily hiked the approximate 160 miles between Independence and Tuolumne
Meadows without having lost additional weight.  I managed to hike almost
800 miles up to Independence without having lost unplanned body weight, so
given my preferred Calorie load I would expect that trend to continue.

Done properly, I could have carried those additional Calories – inside the
‘can, by the way – without having to carry additional pack weight.  The
reason is the 80 tortillas I did carry had several pounds of moisture.  Trading
those water pounds for food pounds, and by filling the most of the tiny air
spaces in the 'can with high-Calorie food, would have made the difference.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/

<mendoridered at yahoo.com> wrote:

Good morning to you Steel-Eye,

"Do you believe that if you had been able to start from Independence with