[pct-l] hiking calories

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Tue Apr 10 08:09:40 CDT 2012

Good morning, MendoRider-Hiker ,

A pound of pure fat has about 4,000 Calories, but fat in the body also has
0-Calorie water which means to drop the scale needle by one pound it’s only
necessary to short your intake by about 3,500 Calories.  All of that is
highly situational and your results may vary.

Due to the capacity of my bear ‘can, and the nature of foods available in
town, I departed Independence with about 3,200 Calories/day knowing that it
was insufficient for the probable burn-rate over the next 8 days.  The
result was being short about 1,000 Calories/day over that period.  Sure
enough, I had lost several pounds when I arrived at VVR where there was
scale.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/