[pct-l] How to practice self arrest when you live nowhere near mountains?

Heike Carrel hcarrel26 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 9 05:45:19 CDT 2012

Hi guys,

I'm looking at a 2014 thru hike of the PCT and was wondering how others who have completed the hike in the past (who don't live near mountains) practiced an ice axe self arrest? I live in Texas...flat, flat Texas. I'm thinking, even if I traveled somewhere to learn this skill, that would most likely be the only time I'd actually have to practice it, unless the real thing happened on the trail, so I'm not sure how good I'd be!

Also, how likely would it be that I would need this skill while hiking the PCT? I would be looking at starting my hike during the PCT Kickoff time (so wouldn't plan to start extra early, etc.)

All opinions and thoughts are welcome! :)

Heike

"Goals allow you to control the direction of change in your favor."