[pct-l] commercial interests in wilderness areas

Jane Overton neoaflander at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 12:43:05 CDT 2012

I would not want horses to be banned, though I think the riders and packers
should have to follow the same rules like hikers, (pack it out, dont cut
across switchbacks etc); but there is a positive side to this as well. If
the decision stands, and is about commercial use, wont that prevent oil
exploration, grazing, and mining in wilderness areas in the future?  Not
such a bad idea. I know that such activities are not supposed to be allowed
now, but there are ways to circumvent those rules like sanitation cuts that
require access roads. The whole roadless area thing might be more
enforceable, too. no machines, no roads. There are probably some clear cut
and logging permits for these areas that predate the wilderness
designation.  I may be full of it with regard to this. so educate me.
Horsepacking is a beneficial use, but overuse would require a lottery
system, you cant have unrestricted  commercial use that would overset the
carrying capacity of the area and degrade it. Just sayin'

--
Change the world. Plant a tree.