[pct-l] Hiking for Multiple Sclerosis

Shawn Hudson shizaquawn at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 17:31:10 CDT 2012

Hi PCT-Lers,

I debated posting this here, because I wasn't sure what everyone's feelings
were on people hiking the PCT and raising money while doing it, but I
decided that in the long run, it's worth more to me, my wife, and lots of
people with Multiple Sclerosis to risk stepping on toes than not.

So, that said, I hope you're not offended by what my wife, Maury, and I are
doing by hiking the PCT as a vehicle to raise money for a non-profit we
really believe in (Myelin Repair Foundation).

I'll keep this short, but I hope that you or someone you know might be
willing to donate to our cause. Our website is www.makingmiles.com ...
we've already hosted two 10k fun-runs here in South Korea (where we teach)
and raised a lot for the Korean MS Society. The Myelin Repair Foundation is
incredible, though. Over 80% of the money donated to them goes directly to
the lab where they're researching ways to retard the reason MS debilitates
so many people - it's endless attack on the fatty tissue surrounding the
nerves in our brain. They've also been instrumental in connecting all of
the individual researchers around the world, helping to streamline the
process from lab to actual patents.

Lastly, my Mom's had the disease for 25 years. I've seen her in and out of
wheelchairs, in hospitals, falling down stairs when her body suddenly goes
numb. She's suffered through temp. blindness, memory loss, and a host of
other issues. Despite this, she managed to teach rambunctious middle
schoolers from a wheelchair for many years, before she was able to retire.
She's not unique. There are over 2 million people with MS. I was there when
she found out the news that her friend (same age) with progressive MS died.
So yeah, I don't take this lightly, and I hope you take me seriously enough
to help. Even $5 is greatly, GREATLY appreciated.

The MRF is, I believe, the key. And the work they do is not just applicable
to MS. It's going to help those with Parkinson's and Alzheimer's, as well
as a host of other neurological diseases.

Thanks for reading my schpiel.
Shawn "Voodoo" Hudson