[pct-l] lost hiker found - setting up a primary contact

Frank Dumville fdumville at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 5 21:47:34 CDT 2012

With the advent of cell phones there has developed an expectation of instant communications. This doesn't apply to the trail yet so you can't call home every night.
I would suggest that every solo hiker establish a plan with someone who will be their primary contact. The plan should be written down. Ideally it would include phone numbers of who to call in an emergency which can be obtained from some of the guides. Tell everyone else who your primary contact is and to ask them before they start to worry. Instruct your contact on what you want them to do if they don't hear from you within a specified time frame. Typically I tell my wife I will contact her before the morning after my next expected resupply date plus 1 extra day.
Your plan should include what to do in event of lost comm. What if you loose your Spot and your track isn't being updated. What if you drop your cell phone in a creek and can't make your expected call home. Tell them that you may loose contact for a long periods.
Once the plan is established it is your responsibility to make contact before the established time expires to prevent unnecessary SAR callouts. If you can call from the trail, fine. If you can't then you may have to go into town earlier. If there is no cell reception find a land line. Don't expect someone you meet on the trail to do this for you, it is your responsibility.
If you don't want to do this. That's fine. You should tell anyone that may be concerned about you that they shouldn't worry or report you lost, and that you'll talk to them in six months.

Snap