[pct-l] is iPhone 4s all I Need

Paul Bodnar paulbodnar at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 3 21:17:31 CDT 2012

I tested my old iPhone 3Gs in the San Gabriel Mountains (near Mile 400 to 430) about 5 months ago and found the GPS to work very quickly (estimate less than 15-30 seconds).   The time for a location seemed similar to using a standard GPS.  Obviously the time to get an accurate location depends on many factors, number of satellites above you, the weather, if your in a canyon, tree cover, etc...

The nice thing about the phone is that you can go into airplane mode after getting your location.  Airplane mode turns off the GPS, phone, and other functions that will save you power.

Full disclosure: I helped write the Guthook's guide available on the iPhone.  There is a demo video at http://www.guthooksguides.com/ that shows how to use the app and save power.

Paul

HikeThru.com
Guthooksguides.com