[pct-l] Coyote Rob Triple Crown Attempt

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 1 04:04:49 CDT 2012

Shon wrote:

What??  He made so many bad decions in his hike.  I now see why so many
people need resue in the backwoods.  It gives other hikers a bad name.

Yeah, I sent him an email saying that if he's having trouble with snow in
the San Gabriels, flipping up to the North Cascades right now is probably
not going to improve his life.  *boggle*  Sounds like a few other people did
too and he's now planning to switch over to the AT which makes a lot more
sense.

I agree with Shon - this is a good reminder that thru-hiking not
exclusively, or even primarily, an athletic event.  Being a great athlete is
no guarantee of success (though it doesn't hurt).  Experience in other forms
of endurance activities like marathons or bicycle touring or whatever
doesn't automatically give you all of the wisdom and experience you need to
tackle long-distance hiking.  The only way to gain wisdom and experience in
thru-hiking is to get out there and hike.  Coyote Rob will know a heck of a
lot more about hiking when this is over, for sure, and one of the things
he'll know is that it's probably wise to get more than two short trip's
worth of experience at hiking before attempting something like a calendar
triple crown.  And maybe do some research first, too.  :-)

Gotta admire his ambition, though.  I hope he collects himself and tries it
again when he knows what he's doing.

Eric