[pct-l] Tents

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 15:05:33 CDT 2011

Hey Daniel,
My favorite 2 person tent is the Six Moon Lunar Duo.  I've used it on the
Wonderland and West Coast Trails (very wet conditions) and recently for a 3
week rehike of the Cascades in mostly dry conditions where we used it for
the bugs which were terrible.  At 2.5 lbs approx. it is very roomy.  I can
sit up in it and there is easily room for 2 people and gear.  Because of the
potential to completely open both sides in good weather, and our habit of
camping in good tree cover, we had almost no condensation on the recent 3
week trip.  When it is closed up in rain and really cold weather it will get
some condensation, as do all single walled tents in my experience.  One
possible drawback is the size of the sides, which are quite large and might
be hard to manage in a big wind.  A smaller tent can be more streamlined in
winds.  My habit is to always find a camp site with some shelter no matter
what tent I'm using, and I'll usually  keep hiking till I find some
protection, so I've never had to set this tent up in really ferocious wind.
 I'd suggest being ready to use all tie downs and weights on the stakes.
 Maybe somebody else has had experience in those kinds of conditions with
this tent.  Maybe it's not an issue.  I own several other 2 person tents,
but this is the only one I use now.

Shroomer