[pct-l] Calling all hikers!!

Anastasia Hill a.yumeko.h at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 12:58:47 CDT 2011

Hello PCTers past and present!

I attempted to hike the entire PCT this year (some may know me as Pebbles)
in part for the adventure but also for research purposes.  I meant to talk
with other hikers along the way but everyone was too damn fast :) so I only
had the chance to record a few conversations...

Anyway, I am writing my dissertation on different forms of media people use
for psychospiritual exploration and the wilderness trail is one of my
topics.  Since I didn't get to hear from many of you in person, I would love
to hear about your experiences via email (please email directly rather than
post to the forum).  I much prefer the natural flow of conversation over a
Q&A questionnaire but this will have to do.  With that in mind, if you
choose to respond (and I hope you do!) please answer as little or as many
questions as you want in whatever way you want, i.e., meandering, with
illustrations, poetics, descriptions etc.etc.

If you have any questions about what this content will be used for or want
to know more about my project you can reach me via email at
a.yumeko.h at gmail.com or by phone at 206 227 3503.

Thank you so much and I look  forward to hearing back from you!  Please see
questions below:

~ Anastasia/Pebbles

 Please Include:

Name (“real”, pseudonym, or trail name – however you would like to be
quoted)

Way to contact you

Age/Sex (optional)

Profession (optional)

·      What was the purpose of your thru-hike?

·      What were your expectations for walking the trail?  For completing
it?

·      If you didn’t complete your thru-hike, what changed?

·      If you did complete your thru hike, were your expectations met?

·      This year had a lot of snow and unusual weather – how did this effect
your experience of the trail?

·      What role did challenge, sacrifice, and/or discipline play in your
trail experience? In your ideas about the trail?

·      How much of walking the trail is Physical? Spiritual? Mental?
Emotional?

·      Did walking the trail change you?

·      What does the trail mean or symbolize to you? Did this change before
and after your journey?

- Anything else you'd like to add?