[pct-l] Most Common Causes of Thru-Dropout

linsey mowoggirl at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 23 11:40:32 CDT 2011

Many times I have witnessed prospective nobo thru hikers that have made it all the way from the Southern terminus quit their hike after experiencing their first Washington rainstorm or unseasonal snow--even though they have less than three hundred miles to go and haven't even made it to the Dinsmore's yet.   Some years hikers have told me that they didn't have any inclement weather until they got to Washington and therefore they never had an opportunity to test and refine their raingear and wet weather tactics.  The first good rain after a rain free hike  often causes the herd to drop like flies.  By the way, an umbrella puts all the fun back into hiking in the rain and hail...