[pct-l] PCT-L - Most Common Causes of Thru-Dropout

Charles Doersch charles.doersch at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 12:59:14 CDT 2011

My family and I are thru-hiking the PCT next year -- and we've also been
testing gear, hiking long miles, backpacking more, etc. We live in Colorado
and we hike and have hiked aplenty, but the PCT (we've come to realize) is a
paradigm shift from what we've done before.

We've done long-distance, long-term expeditions abroad for years, and what
we've experienced there seems to jive with what we've been reading in the
trail journals this year and last for PCT thru-hikers. The will to finish
appears to be paramount.

Aside from the catastrophic injury that really requires quitting the trail,
it seems to me that folks who stop their thru-hike have one way or the other
"seen the elephant" (that 19th century term for being overwhelmed by the
difficulty [physical/emotional/psychological] of an expedition and their
will to continue fails.] Of course, we'll all know exceptions -- I'm not
saying this is true for everyone -- but it seems to be a pattern that's
recognizable. I have read of thru-hikers with torn cartilage in their knee
being told by the doctor in a trail town (looking at the x-rays), "Nope,
you're done. You can't continue." And that hiker found a way to continue,
and completed it. Others quit for much less grievous pains. I've read other
journals where someone quit because of shin splints -- while other
thru-hikers had repeated bouts of shin splints and continued and finished.
Some quit because of relationship or family issues -- others continue
despite relationship or family issues.

On every expedition I've launched myself on, I've discovered that there are
always "sufficient" excuses to quit that can build up in our brains & hearts
as we slog along ... Yogi has good advice in her book about what to do when
you feel like quitting. The PCT isn't for everyone, I can understand that.
But I keep reading about everyone from office workers to athletes, the
experienced to the novice, from the young to the elderly crossing the finish
line successfully. And I read as well about those who fail: office workers
to athletes, the experienced to the novice, from the young to the elderly.

The veterans of the PCT, I'm sure, will weigh in on this.

Cheers,

Charles & the gang.