[pct-l] laptop or tablet on trail

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 22:32:39 CDT 2011

I just finished 360 miles from White Pass to Manning carrying a Mac Air and
small wifi.  It was an experiment to see if I could keep up my hiking column
while on an extended trail section.  This is in preparation for doing the
same next year on the CDT.  It worked well, and on those rare occasions that
I got cel service on trail I sat right down in the trail, completed the
column, added the pix and got it off before losing all battery.  I'm also
looking for some kind of solar device that isn't too heavy so as to be able
to keep it charged on trail.  As it was, I recharged every chance I got off
trail and at the Dinsmore's etc.

I packed the Mac Air in an ultra, Sea to Summit WP bag and slid the whole
thing right down next to the back pad of my ULA Circuit (same pack I used
for last year's thru, and it's still holding up).  It rode well there, and I
never even noticed it.  Probably provided some stiffness to the pack, and
the computer showed no problems.  They seem to be pretty strong.  The only
down side is the probably 3lbs of computer and charger I had to carry.  But
I found it very usefull for what I was doing, and will try it on the longer
hike next summer.

Shroomer