[pct-l] Hiking Barefoot?

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Sep 5 14:58:24 CDT 2011

The Scissors Crossing/San Felipe Hills is the only part of the trail
I would consider a cactus garden. There are also a few cactus in the
desert divide between San Jacinto and Mission Creek. Otherwise you
get these little beaver tail cacti with really pretty pink flowers
here and there along the side of the trail for the first 725 miles or
so. I can't see any of those causing any trouble for anyone for any
reason unless you actually step on one or put your Neo Air on one.

At first the huaraches gave me a couple of small blisters on the
sides but they weren't bad at all and I don't get them now. I hardly
feel the strap between my toe at all, but after the hike this morning
it felt a little sore between my toes on the bottom of my feet and
there is a small blister on one foot. I think it's a design problem.
I made the sandals myself.

I made the sandals out of the exact materials used for these: http://
lunasandals.com/sandals/14-the-leadville-pacer. Vibram soling sheet,
copper-colored suede and 1/4" leather laces. Those sandals are
expensive but you can buy a kit that's cheaper or buy the materials
online separately for way more money (but you end up with 5 pairs of
sandals.)

The wild roses and other plants scratched across my ankles and my
feet. I am thinking of asking that Dirty Girl Gaiters lady if she
could start making Dirty Girl socks for people who run with
huaraches. Her gaiter fabric seems to resist burrs and foxtails. My
wool socks tend to attract them.

Last August I hiked a 70 mile or so section of the John Muir trail
wearing Chaco sandals. I had some difficulty with snow balling up
under my toes otherwise it was a delight. As a thru-hiker, you will
be in the Sierras in June and it will be dangerous and exhausting.
You will need shoes to hike on snow then since you'll be walking for
miles on it rather than the occasional little patch I experienced in
August. It doesn't matter if your feet can handle the cold. Cold is
not the issue. The issue is that you can kill yourself on the snow
and ice there.

Last spring I hiked a section of the PCT on San Jacinto and another
in the Big Bear/Cajon Pass area. On both those trips I experienced
delights such as freezing rain, falling snow, rain, cold temps, high
winds and leftover snow drifts. Wearing sandals in cold weather and
falling snow was not a problem at all. Wearing sandals over ice and
snow where a slip can kill you is a problem.

Other places where you will need protective footwear include walking
through glacier melt streams. You can't see the bottom. Your feet
will not be able to feel the hazards that can injure them because
they'll be frozen instantly in the water, so they need protection.

For a thru-hike attempt, I recommend you bring shoes of some sort or
at least have a plan to acquire them quickly if you need them,
preferably have a pair that you know will fit ready to be sent to
you. Since you don't wear shoes much now, you aren't used to them
anymore so it'll be important you have shoes you know will fit
waiting for you. That means you should do the opposite of the whole
"transitioning to barefoot" and learn to wear shoes again. Since your
feet probably have gotten extra wide and muscular, begin a search
earlier rather than later. For the actual hike, bring a pair of
sandals so you don't have to quit at mile 20. Then give it a try.