[pct-l] Hiking Barefoot?

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Sep 5 12:38:18 CDT 2011

There isn't really that much cactus on the trail, but you might try
hiking in the Scissors Crossing/San Felipe Hills section to see what
it's like. The worst rocks on the trail were between the Sisters and
Mt. Washington in Oregon.

I think with really tough feet you could enjoy a barefoot experience
under the forest canopy in the soft duff from about Sierra City
northward to Canada with some off-and-on donning of at least sandals
for the rockier or hotter sections or places with glaciers and
glacier melt streams, road walks or other unpleasant areas. The
barefoot sisters hiked the Appalachian trail barefoot, wearing shoes
in a section with snow and ice. The AT is mostly under the forest
canopy, and most of Northern California, Oregon and Washington have
nice forest canopy, too.
http://www.barefoothikers.org/barefoot-sisters.html

Yesterday I hiked almost 14 miles wearing a pair of homemade huarache
sandals. It was a delightful experience, but things like wild roses
tearing at my skin were not too pleasant, and some unexpected poodle
dog bush could have caused a big problem if I hadn't noticed it
immediately.