[pct-l] PCT Closure in Oregon

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sun Sep 4 10:47:20 CDT 2011

Good morning,

The Forest Service announcement of this closure, and a link to the
associated closure document and map, can be found at:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72BTFxdjAwjQL8h2VAQAlu7VZA!!/?ss=110606&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=8514&navid=120000000000000&pnavid=null&position=Alerts&ttype=alerts&pname=Mt.%20Hood%20National%20Forest-%20Alerts%20&%20Notices<http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/%21ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72BTFxdjAwjQL8h2VAQAlu7VZA%21%21/?ss=110606&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=8514&navid=120000000000000&pnavid=null&position=Alerts&ttype=alerts&pname=Mt.%20Hood%20National%20Forest-%20Alerts%20&%20Notices>

It’s not clear how long this closure will be in effect, but the fire is
mostly on remote and difficult Mt. Hood Wilderness land where aggressive
suppression is not allowed.

The practical effect -- as Hiking Irish states -- is PCT hikers must find a
ride from Timberline Lodge to Cascade Locks: Either on Rt. 26 west through
Sandy and eventually east on I-84; or east on Rt. 26 from Government Camp,
north on Rt. 35 to Hood River, and finally west on I-84.  Either way is
about 70 miles and requires about 1.5 hours, one way.  There is no public
transportation for either route.

I live in Sandy and can possibly haul hikers around upon request.  I can
carry three passengers at a time – four if they don’t mind being crowded in
the back seat.  I prefer not to make the trip with just one or two hikers.

Good luck to all...

Steel-Eye

-http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

-http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09