[pct-l] Hiking Barefoot?

albert at survivalcrafters.com albert at survivalcrafters.com
Sat Sep 3 23:57:26 CDT 2011

I've been thinking about this also and I think the snow areas would be the
biggest problem to overcome first. I've been a bare-footer for about 2 years
now only wearing shoes where it's illegal not to and it's one of the best
moves I've ever made health wise. Snow is a challenge though because even if
you could acclimate your feet to the cold, which I'm not sure is even
possible, the snow and ice are slippery and something would need to be worn
for traction for at least a good part of the trip. From my own experience I
would say it wouldn't be practical to attempt the pct barefoot, I easily
walk long distances over very hot and/or sharp places now where I wouldn't
have made it 15 feet before 2 years ago, but much of the time I'm reduced to
1 half to 1 quarter of the hiking speed I could make in the same areas with
shoes on.

I did watch a tv show recently where a couple of naturalists hiked the
northern California, Oregon area for nine months doing research work and
they did their whole trip in sandals to avoid having foot-rot type problems.
They said they wouldn't do it any other way now so I've been working on that
option and will probably hike in sandals next year keeping the option opened
to heading into a town for trail shoes if the sandals don't work out, plus
I'll probably do a lot of bare foot walking wherever I can because I so
enjoy it. Best to you.