[pct-l] Hiking Shoes

Russell Mease measerp at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 13:09:47 CDT 2011

I'm new to this post so I want to say thanks to all for the great reading.
I use it to pass the slow times here at work until my 2012 PCT thru-hike!

Regarding shoes, after much consideration I went with the Vasque Scree Low
Ultra-Dry with stealth rubber.  It has a much heavier sole than your typical
trail shoe and a nice big toe-box for protecting your toes, but not as heavy
as most hiking boots.  For any kind of rock scrambling this protection is
invaluable as I have turned my toes black and blue (and am waiting for the
nails to just fall off) due to wearing trail shoes while scrambling over
rocky trail.  Also I expect these heavier soles to last much longer than
trail shoes.  At the same price as most good trail shoes, and expecting to
go through 3 pairs intead of 6 pairs on my through-hike, they seem to be the
right choice.

I would like to hear from thru or section hikers who opted for boots vs.
shoes for any portion of their hike, and would do so again, and why.

Thank you,

Doug