[pct-l] Boots

Katie Muilenburg katiedm at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 13:46:41 CDT 2011

Hi Doug,

I wore running shoes for the entire PCT.  I would do it exactly the same
again.  Even through the snowy, snowy Sierras, I felt the running shoes were
enough for me.  I've never worn high top footwear while backpacking.
 Actually, I usually prefer to wear my Keen sandals.  Yes, walking through
frigid rivers was painfully cold, but it wouldn't have been easier with
boots.  Walking over snow for hours a day wasn't cold, since my feet were
constantly moving, with circulation keeping them warm.

Conversely, my hiking partner (trail name Boots), swears by his hiking
boots.  For him, his feet felt more protected and didn't get as beat up as
when he tried to wear shoes.  He says the thicker soles also protected his
feet from all the little things we step on during the day, and offered more
support so his feet weren't as tired-sore at the end of the day.

As with everything else on the PCT, it's a matter of personal preference.

-Bubbles