[pct-l] Trail magic and the PCT culture

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Oct 19 13:09:08 CDT 2011

Wow!

Those of us who "give back," encouraging others to follow our steps, go
where we've gone, making it easier, safer, more fun, lighter, simpler, or at
least more basic, are passionate about it because we realize that the
experience of where we went changed our lives.

You first see an expeditionary "hike" as a simple walk in the woods. Then
you plan it, going through all the details and personal preparations to
accomplish the thing logistically and in doing so realize that it may be a
real challenge. Nevertheless, by the time you hit the trail you're so
excited that the time has actually and finally come that adrenaline
catapults you up the trail those first few days.

The buzz of the start subsides a bit into a rhythm and through that new
lifestyle you deal with the daily inner changes (that you had no idea would
be so powerful because you've never been out in the wilderness so long),
route and town opportunities, schedule and priority alterations, injuries,
and gear adjustments to the point where you suddenly, one day, realize that
you're going to make it to Canada!

It is through this process that we are changed, new priorities in life
matter more than the ones you knew before the "hike," and as a matter of
fact, the guy or girl who emerged at the end is a totally different person.
The time frame to accomplish this is different for each person. But when all
is said and done and a few years have gone by since "your hike," it is this
change, rather than all the pictures and friends you took or made, that you
take with you the rest of your life. It is when we are alone with ourselves
that we feel it the most. It isn't the one we see in the mirror. It is the
person who talks to us as we hike.

Yes, a hike of the Pacific Crest Trail has become a social thing over the
years, probably due to the number of folks attempting it each year and the
information now available to make it easier. You can walk it in a group of
your choosing even though you started on your own or you can walk it alone,
if you want. But it is the time spent alone that changes you. Then you
realize that, spiritually, you are not alone at all.

It's like travelling through a foreign country in a group or alone. Stay in
the group and you interact less with the locals; travel solo and you're
forced to make contacts, meet people, share stories, absorb some of their
way of life. It is the latter that has the more profound change on your
life. This is true for the trail, too, I think, but the one big difference
is that on the trail we spend time hiking by ourselves even though we are in
a group. This gives us the time where we absorb into our very soul the
"wilderness lifestyle," the stuff Thoreau talked about, the rhythm of the
long trail, the "basics of life" and this is what changes us. The more time
spent there, the deeper the change. In the evenings when you're together in
your group, you can talk about it. In the end, this change, this new reality
is what you take home.

Take away all the social noise of society, the distractions, clocks, phones,
and temptations in daily life and you're left with your self. Do you know
who that is? (Some come to the trail to find this!) Were you ready for this
development in your hike? Did you know that when you're alone in the
mountains for weeks or months on end that this would surface? Some hikers
actually leave the trail and their "dream hike" because they can't deal with
themselves and the inner confrontation and social loneliness. Even if you
hike the whole thing with another or a group, there will be talk of this,
much discussion about "life back home," society, work, and the reasons for
life. It gets pretty profound, but that's where the heart and spirit go when
we're no longer distracted by time, work, and the busyness of life.

So when you reach the end of the trail and find out "re-entry" exists
because you've changed (and you like it!), you want to help others, the
class of hikers next year, realize that the value of the experience goes way
beyond walking a dirt and rock path for 2,650 miles in one shot and that it
was the best thing you've ever done! Hiking a long trail is not just an
accomplishment, it is an experience that changes people. Wilderness does
that. (That's why Mountain Education is here, to help the aspiring to
discover them selves and this new life by extending their time in the
wilderness through good planning, realistic preparation, and wilderness
safety training).

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education